With crispy bacon, leftover turkey, sweet pears, pickled brussels sprouts, and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, this winter sandwich is anything but ordinary. Try it on game day.
By Keith Jackie
This sandwich gives new life to leftovers. Our hoagie starts with the basics: a good French baguette and roasted turkey. We love just a little bit of acidity and crunch in our sandwiches, so Keith pickled our leftover brussels sprouts. Then he added sweet pears, crispy bacon, and a bit of cheddar cheese. Keith swears by Bell’s Turkey Seasoning; it was what his mother always used to prepare her holiday turkey. Therefore no turkey goes without it in our house (I am also quite partial to its flavor and its old-fashioned package design). Keith topped our holiday hoagie with a dollop of turkey-seasoned mayo.
As we gear up for a game day, this hoagie makes for a delicious and simple meal. It looks like your run of the mill sandwich, but it packs some seriously complex flavors that will light up any football fan’s face.
- 8 ounce fresh turkey breast (we used leftover turkey)
- 2-6 inch french baguettes
- 6 ounces fresh brussel sprouts (shredded)
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 red pear
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ tsp Bell's Poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Start by placing vinegar, sugar, pepper and celery seed in a medium mixing bowl and mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Add brussel sprouts and mix. Allow to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- On an oven-safe pan, place turkey in a single layer and top with cheddar cheese, then top with chopped bacon.
- Place under broiler to melt cheese.
- To prepare sandwich start by spreading butter on sliced baguette and grill (flat side down) in sauté pan until browned.
- Top bottom of bread with pears sliced into ? in slices.
- Top with ½ turkey, bacon and cheese from broiler.
- Drain sprouts and top turkey with half of sprouts.
- Finish off with mayo spread made by combining bells poultry seasoning mixed with mayo.