PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, and Gothenburg. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Topped with whitefish roe, red onion and crème fraîche, this savory Swedish pancake incorporate a unique cheese into the batter for a fun appetizer or brunch treat.
West Sweden loves their cheese. They have the perfect land to raise cows to produce unique-tasting milk. And they have people that not only love cheese, but are willing to wait. West Sweden is home to fine cheese makers who age their cheese to unique perfection. Check out these savory pancakes best when made with an aged cheese.
- 160 grams (5.6 ounces) whitefish roe
- 200 ml (6.75 fluid ounces) crème fraîche
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 lemon
- fresh dill
- mixed lettuce
- 50 grams (1.7 ounces) Västerbottensost, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp whipped cream
- 50 ml (1.7 ounces by volume) wheat flour
- 50 grams (1.7 ounces) boiled potatoes, crushed
- salt, white pepper
- Butter for frying
- Let the whitefish roe drain in a fine mesh strainer.
- Prepare the pancake batter. Separate the egg yolks from the whites, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Mix the yolks, cheese, milk and cream. Mix in the flour and potatoes, mix in the whites. Season with salt and pepper. Heat butter in a frying pan, then pour out the batter and fry the pancakes on both sides until they have a nice, golden brown colour.
- Serve with whitefish roe, crème fraîche and red onion. Garnish with lettuce, lemon and fresh dill.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738