Made with creamy coconut milk, this vegan berry mousse cake sits atop a nutty chocolate crust for a delightfully cool bite that screams of spring.
This triple berry mousse cake with a chocolate crust is a vegan winner! I have been working on this dessert for a few weeks now and have made a few different versions. Originally, the chocolate layer was a lot thinner and there was more of the berry layer. I think this version is much better and provides a good balance of the chocolate and the berries.
This Triple Berry + Chocolate Vegan Slice is also gluten and refined sugar free and also paleo friendly.
- 2 cups pecans (walnuts also work)
- 1 + ½ cups medjool dates (or soft organic dates)
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 + ½ cups raw macadamias (or cashews), soaked for a minimum 4 hours
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, washed and tops removed
- ½ cup fresh raspberries, washed
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, washed
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk (canned variety preferably)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- To make the chocolate layer, process the pecans in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Next, add the cacao powder, vanilla and sea salt and process until well combined. Then, add the dates and process until a sticky dough is formed. Spoon mixture into a lined square baking tin and smooth with the back of a spoon
- For the triple berry layer, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is smooth. Pour over the chocolate layer and place in the freezer for a minimum two hours to set.
- Remove 5 minutes prior to serving to allow it to thaw a little.