The perfect combination of salty and sweet, crunchy and creamy. This delicious granola, ideal for breakfast, or as a snack, will be the last granola recipe you will ever need.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
I feel the most enlightened when in presence of grandiose environments. These landscapes are rare; usually sweep you off your feet, and transport you to another state of existence. They blur reality to understand, that which is true.
I don’t mean to be philosophical. But as an individual, it is oh so beautiful to enjoy the magnificence of the mind, when encountering nature.
This is the best granola recipe yet. It is the perfect combination of salty and sweet with a deep caramel flavor that develops from the slow cooking of maple syrup and brown sugar. While the oats are crunchy, the nuts are creamy and luscious, a perfect pair to the sweet moist dried cherries. I believe this is an improvement on the previous granola recipe I posted a while back. It is crisper, more decadent, but equally nutritious. Perfect for the desert.
- 3 cups (255grams) rolled oats
- 1 cup nuts (115 grams) , any combination (I used equal parts cashews, almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts.)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (50grams) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (59ml)maple syrup
- ¼ cup (59ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5ml)almond extract
- ⅛ cup (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (40 grams) dried sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (148C).
- In a large bowl, mix oats, nuts, and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt brown sugar, maple syrup, orange juice and honey, over low heat.
- Remove from heat and add extracts and olive oil.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry, and mix until well coated.
- Transfer mixture into a large baking sheet, and evenly spread into a thin lager.
- Place in oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until oats are golden.
- Remove, and sprinkle cherries.
- Let cool completely before transferring to a jar.