Turmeric and cayenne make this soup unique and bring a yellow ray of sunshine to dreary winter days. Add noodles and pineapple to keep things hearty.
By Abbe Odenwalder
Turmeric and cayenne are just some of the spices that make this soup unique and bring a literal yellow ray of sunshine to a cold and dreary winter day. Add egg noodles and pineapple to cool things off and make a hearty bowl of soup.
- 1 T oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sliced in thin strips which is best accomplished when the meat is partially frozen)
- ½ t turmeric
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- pinch red chili flakes
- ½ can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3¼ c chicken stock
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 2 t lemon grass paste
- 1-2 t fish sauce
- 3 T pineapple juice and reserve the chunks
- 2 T crunchy peanut butter
- 1 c thin dried egg noodles
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 T cilantro, chopped
- ½ t sriracha
- Fried onions to garnish
- Chopped peanuts to garnish
- Chopped Cilantro to garnish
- Sliced Jalapeños to garnish (seeds in = spicy!)
- Heat oil in a large-ish pot. Add garlic cloves and saute until light golden. Add the chicken, turmeric, pepper, and red chili flakes top pot. Stir fry for a few minutes until chicken is almost cooked. Add coconut milk, chicken stock, lime juice, lemon grass paste, fish sauce, and pineapple juice. Whisk in peanut butter.
- Simmer for a few minutes. Soup can be made until this point. To continue-while soup is simmering add the egg noodles and cook al dente according to package directions.
- Before serving, stir in scallions and cilantro. Add sriracha to taste at table. Fish sauce can also be added if you like a saltier flavor. Ladle soup into bowls and top with fried onions, cilantro, chopped peanuts, jalapenos, and small chunks of pineapple. Taste the sunshine!