Similar to Larb Gai, a Thai dish served with sticky rice, this salad is packed with zest from a delicious peanut dressing that coats the mixture of cabbage and lettuce.
By JC Carter
It’s not just a Thai ground chicken salad, but it’s a Thai ground chicken salad on top of a loaded green salad and soaked in delicious peanut sauce.
By the way did you know that thai ground (or minced) chicken salad is a thing? Before researching this recipe I had no idea, but it’s a traditional dish that’s usually served with sticky rice and it’s called Larb Gai. There that’s your piece of trivia for the day.
Seriously I could eat/talk about this thing all week. A little note: make more peanut sauce than you think you will need. I promise it will end up on all kinds of things that you don’t expect, and you will run out before you are ready.
Want to serve this as a side? Try these Apricot Pork Kebabs as your main course.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup mint, chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded lettuce of choice
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 4 red, yellow or orange sweet peppers, julienned
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup frozen edamame, defrosted
- ½ cup crispy wonton strips
- Heat a oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, crumbling it as you go until the chicken is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Add the shallots and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and add the lime juice, fish sauce, rice flour, and chili flakes tossing to combine. Set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the garlic powder, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, lime juice, oil, peanut butter and water. Adjust the seasonings and set aside. In a large bowl toss the lettuce, cabbage, carrot, peppers, onions, and edamame. Top with cooled chicken mixture. Drizzle with peanut sauce and top with crispy wonton strips. Serve immediately.