Douse a pan of chicken in a Tex-Mex seasoned queso sauce and topped it off with fresh chopped tomatoes in this comforting one-pan bake.
Sometimes, you just have to fix something smothered in cheesy goodness for dinner. And this Taco Chicken and Rice Bake is perfect for when you’re in the mood to indulge a little. Yes, it contains and entire jar of queso. Plus some extra cheese for good measure. But everyone will clean their plates and come back for seconds. So it’s totally worth it!
This hearty meal is perfect for any time comfort food is in order. It was definitely a hit with my hungry teenagers.
You can easily adapt this recipe to include more or less chicken breasts, depending on how many people you’ll be serving.
And while I like to top this casserole off with some fresh tomatoes and chopped cilantro, you could add any of your favorite taco toppings–avocado, chopped lettuce, diced onion, sour cream….you get the idea.
No matter how you finish it off, it’s going to be a hit. Honestly, I would have happily eaten just the cheese smothered rice. Which is why I love this dish. You get your main course and side dish all in one delicious meal.
Obviously this isn’t low in fat or calories, but it’s definitely going into the recipe file because it’s easy to make and my whole family loved it. Totally worth the occasional indulgence!
Love easy one-pan dinners? Check out these other ones.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1 oz.) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 oz.) jar salsa con queso
- ¾ cups milk
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2½ cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Chopped tomatoes and chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with half of taco seasoning mix. Cook chicken for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Chicken may not be cooked all the way through, but will finish baking in the oven.
- In large bowl, stir together salsa con queso, milk and chopped green chiles; stir in bell pepper, green onions and remaining taco seasoning. Reserve 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Stir rice into remaining sauce mixture.
- Place rice mixture in casserole; place chicken on top of rice. Top with reserved sauce mixture, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more, or until sauce is bubbly and chicken is cooked through. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and cilantro before serving.