Loaded with sweet potatoes, kale and sausage, this warm breakfast bake is a delightful way to wake up.
This Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole is standout delicious. It also happens to be an easy Whole30 and Paleo recipe that’s gluten-free and dairy-free. It’s perfect for all the brunches and breakfast-for-dinners.
It’s taken me 8 winters in Minneapolis to finally know that I can hang with the polar bears around here.
1. We count years here by the number of winters one has endured. The more winters you’ve got under your belt, the more badges of honor.
2. Polar bears are really humans who throw their heads back and laugh in the face of extremely brutal temps.
I will probably never crack a smile about winter, but I can finally say I’m officially Minnesotan: for the first time in my real and imagined life, I went for a two hour run in -12F actual temp (-24F with windchill.)
Other important notes: I would never have actually chosen to get up at 6am on Saturday morning for that — there was definitely a little peer pressure involved. And I never used to care about daily, let alone hourly, temps before moving to the Twin Cities. Also, face masks are awesome. That’s all.
Admittedly, the spread of brunch food after our frigid group run made the day so. much. better. Because it’s January, there were plenty of healthy options available: whole grain bagels, GF and sugar free granola, fresh fruit, and healthy breakfast casseroles.
Speaking of a healthy breakfast casserole that just happen to be Whole30 and Paleo compliant, check this Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole…
We’re looking at total goodness right here:
Plenty of golden roasted sweet potatoes for energy
No added sugars, dairy, or gluten
Kale and sweet pepper for antioxidants
Eggs and sausage for protein and pure flavor
All this morning magic comes together easily and quickly; most of it can even be prepped the night before so that all you have to do post-snooze is to pop this delicious Whole30 recipe (or paleo recipe) in the oven and bake.
Bonus: One totally does not have to be a winter warrior to enjoy this sweet potato sausage breakfast casserole. Enjoy!
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup non-dairy milk of your choice (almond, coconut, etc.)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack on lower middle position. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- On a large baking sheet, combine sweet potatoes with 2 TB olive oil, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper; toss to coat well. Bake in a single, even layer for 20 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 TB olive oil on a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and stir 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add peppers and stir 1 more minute. Transfer mixture to prepared 9x13 baking dish.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, cook and break apart sausage with spatula until cooked through. Drain and add to baking dish with veggie mixture. Add roasted sweet potatoes, chopped kale, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper to the mixture in baking dish. Gently toss to combine all ingredients well.
- In a bowl, gently whisk together the eggs and ½ cup of non-dairy milk until well combined. Pour evenly over the sausage/potato mixture in baking dish. Bake uncovered about 25-30 minutes or just until eggs are set in center.