PARTNER POST – Be inspired to create beautiful cheese boards with Castello cheese. And what goes better with cheese than wine? Enter to win a trip for two to Napa, California.
Creamy blue cheese, bacon jam, and a sweet candied walnuts make the perfect bite. Here’s how to make a stunning cheese board.
By Mary Ann Dwyer
I’m setting the stage for your Valentine’s date night with a little help from my friends at Castello, producer of fine cheeses and Folie à Deux, producer of world-class Sonoma County wines. I’ve created this epic cheese board with bacon onion jam as part of Castello’s Cheese Board Challenge ]. I can’t think of anything more perfect for a romantic evening at home than a gorgeous cheese board with some fabulous wine!
Just picture it…the fire is roaring, candles are lit, your favorite romantic movie is ready to play and you’ve prepared the cheese board of all cheese boards to dazzle your sweetheart. You’ve even chosen the perfect wine to accompany your sumptuous spread!
Your cheese board is a feast for the eyes. It’s filled with an amazing variety of creatively crafted cheeses. You’ve chosen three cheeses to be the highlights of your board, Castello Havarti Creamy which is a mild, soft, buttery cheese, some traditional Danish Blue which has a fine, nutty blue aroma and some creamy, mild and tangy Castello Havarti Herbs and Spice.
To accompany your wonderful cheeses you’ve added some delectable candied walnuts for your Valentine, the perfect assortment of green and Kalamata olives, some black pepper dry salami to liven the palate, some plump juicy red grapes, crostini, classic water crackers, sesame breadsticks and last, but certainly not least, some irresistible Bacon Onion Jam.
A piece of crostini, a slice of Danish blue topped with this sweet and tangy bacon onion jam…it doesn’t get any better! As if you could make this cheese board any more perfect, you’ve paired all of these fabulous sweet and savory treats with Folie à Deux Russian River Chardonnay and Dry Creek Zinfandel to delight the senses and excite the imagination!
Well done! Your romance rock star status has been achieved!
Now head over to Castello and enter to win trip for two full of wine and cheese Napa! Enter here.
Plus, try making this sweet and spicy carrot chutney, another delicious addition to a cheese board.
- Castello Havarti Creamy
- Castello Extra Creamy Danish Blue
- Castello Havarti Herbs and Spice
- Candied walnuts
- Mix of green and Kalamata olives
- Black pepper dry salami, sliced
- Red seedless grapes
- Assortment of crackers (crostini, classic water crackers, sesame breadsticks)
- Folie a Deux wines (I feature their Zinfandel and Chardonnay)
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 5 cups (about 2 lbs.) Vidalia onions, peeled, sliced thin, and diced
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan. Set aside.
- Add the onions to the fat in the pan. Cook until onions are translucent and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the bacon, mustard seeds, brown sugar, cider vinegar, red pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spoon into jar and store in refrigerator.
- Arrange cheeses and other items on cheese board. Serve with wine. Enjoy!