This is a gluten-free spin on a classic stuffed pepper dish. Super delicious and super comforting.
By Sarah Platanitis
It’s raining like nobody’s business today and all I want to eat is comfort food. I think I’ll do just fine with green peppers stuffed with rice, fire-roasted tomatoes, savory sweet Italian sausage and, you guessed it, Jarlsberg cheese.
- 4 green bell peppers
- 8oz Jarlsberg Dip with Red Onion or homemade mix (see below)
- 1-1/2 cup instant rice
- 1 10-oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 package of sweet Italian-style turkey sausages
- Fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl combine 4 ounces freshly grated Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon fine chopped red onion. Store in a covered container for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and cut peppers for stuffing.
- Quick roast peppers on stove burner. A simple way to do this is to insert tongs inside the pepper and roll it on the burner. Be careful, you only want to add a little color to the skin!
- In a large bowl, mix together Jarlsberg Dip with Red Onion, fire roasted tomatoes and instant rice.
- Brown sausages in small frying pan. Cut into ½” pieces and add to rice mixture.
- Arrange peppers to fit snuggly in a baking pan or casserole dish. Stuff with rice mixture and top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with foil and place on middle rack. Cook for one hour, or until peppers are tender. Remove the foil the last ten minutes for browned tops. Let cool for 10 minutes before eating.