These scones are sure to be a hit at your next brunch, light and flaky and flavorful but not too sweet.
By Deena Wachtel
Author: Deena Wachtel
Recipe Type: Baking
- 2 cups AP flour + a bit more for dusting the strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar + more for dusting
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 oz. COLD butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅔ cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream + 1 tablespoon for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients, including zest.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients using your fingers until you get a “wet sand” consistency.
- Add strawberries and stir to incorporate.
- Add cream and bring together until the dough BARELY holds together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently press into a 1″ thick rectangle.
- Cut into 8 squares.
- Brush each square with cream and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for approximately 14-16 minutes, until the scones are firm to the touch and golden brown.
Originally Published: September 4, 2013