Tossed in a shallot-honey vinaigrette, this fried goat cheese salad is made up of some of our favorite foods, including strawberries and avocado.
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- 1pound plain goat cheese (chevre) log
- 1 egg
- ½cup all-purpose flour
- ½cup panko crumbs
- 2tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- ¼teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- 1pound mixed garden lettuces
- 1quart fresh strawberries, cleaned, capped and sliced
- 1large avocado, sliced
- To make the vinaigrette, place shallots, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper in a blender jar; pulse until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive and canola oils. Vinaigrette will become a smooth thick emulsion.
- To make the croquettes, cut goat cheese log into 16 pieces. Form each into a disc shape. Place flour into one bowl, and egg beaten with a little water into another bowl. In a third bowl, mix panko with salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves.
- Dust each disc in flour, then dip into egg, then dip into seasoned panko, pressing the crumbs lightly onto the goat cheese. Use the “wet hand-dry hand” technique. Use one hand to dip into flour, egg, and place in the bowl of panko—use the other hand to press the panko and remove. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat bottom with olive oil. Cook goat cheese discs until brown (about 3 minutes) and turn over to brown on the other side.
- To assemble the salad, start with a base of garden lettuces. Arrange sliced strawberries and sliced avocados over the greens. Place warm goat cheese croquettes on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
This article has been posted with permission and originally appeared as, “Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Goat Cheese” on Relish.