Fresh strawberries and balsamic vinegar cozy up to each other to make this fudgy brownie stand out.
By Abby Himes
And just when you think a brownie can’t get much better, try swirling a little strawberry into it. Who needs chocolate covered strawberries when you can have strawberry swirled brownies?
- 1 recipe of your favorite brownies
- 1 cup (about) chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- non-stick spray
- Preheat the oven and prepare the brownie batter according to the box directions.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar and 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Stir together and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes, until the strawberry mixture has slightly thickened and reduced.
- Remove from heat and stir in the other Tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar.
- Pour the brownie batter in a greased, 8x8 pan. Pour the strawberry mixture over the batter and using a knife, gently swirl the two together. You want the strawberry to still mostly stay on the top, don't mix it in completely.
- Bake according to the directions, I ended up baking it an extra 10 minutes to cook all the way through for a total of 50 minutes at 325 degrees F. So check the center with a toothpick or knife end to see if it comes out fairly clean (the strawberry will cling to it-that's okay) The center may be slightly jiggly but will finish cooking as it cools.
- Let cool and the best thing to use to cut into squares is a plastic knife.