This bread is leavened with baking powder instead of yeast and has a texture similar to soda bread. Also like soda bread, it’s one of the quickest of breads to make – mix all the ingredients and bake, no rising. Different from traditional bread, this recipe is an easy if you are pressed for time. The result is a full flavored loaf – amazing toasted or with cheese and preserves.
By Bryan Picard
- 2 Cups Rye flour
- 1 Cup Whole wheat flour
- ¼ Cup Cane Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flax seeds, whole
- 1 Tablespoon Baking powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Cups Beer, a stout or beer of choice
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, sugar, flax, baking powder and salt.
- Add the beer and melted butter. Stir well with a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Pour the dough in a buttered and floured 4?x 9? loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting.