Summer corn is so flavorful it hardly needs anything at all, but a few well-chosen additions just brighten the taste.
By Chitra Agrawal
- 4 corn cobs, kernels shaved off cob (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 leek, white & green parts chopped small
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- salt to taste
- Easy method to shave corn off cob: just stand it upright and run your knife as close to the cob as you can get. The kernels will just come right off.
- Heat ghee or oil under medium-high heat in a frying pan. Add in cumin seeds. When the seeds start to brown, turn the heat to medium and add in the leeks. Cook the leaks for about 3-5 minutes, until they are cooked down. Mix in the black pepper.
- At this point, add in the corn kernels and salt to taste. Fry the corn for a few minutes (doesn't take long to cook). Turn the heat off. Squeeze lemon and mix in the chopped basil. Add salt to taste.