When life hands you dates, you make these delectable date fudges from Priya Sreeram.
By Priya Sreeram
Had a few friends visiting us the last weekend and my pantry ended up with a good stock of extremely tasty Dates. These luscious and juicy dates were Lion’s Dessert-King Dates. While they were truly good for munching as such, I ended up making these Energy Squares.
Of course my kids don’t share the same exuberance when it comes to devouring the dates as such and this is when I chanced upon these energy bars @ Veg Bowl. I instinctively knew that these squares would be a hit. I added some Cocoa Powder to the original recipe and the result was fabulous.
- Pitted and Chopped Dates - 300 grams (I used Lion's DessertKing Dates)
- Raw Cashewnuts- 200 grams
- Raw Almonds - 100 grams (with skin on)
- Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
- Fruit Juice - 1 to 3 tbsp (as required) - I used Minute Maid's Mixed Fruit Juice
- Combine chopped dates, cashews & almonds in a food processor. Use moist dates for this recipe. Dried ones will not give the fudges the same zing.
- Pulse and process all the ingredients together until the texture is coarse.
- Add little fruit juice at a time until it reaches a dry but moist dough consistency.
- Scrape the mixture into a tin lined with aluminium foil. Press evenly with a spatula.
- Chill for about an hour or till it sets.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into desired sizes.