All this dish needs is a few basic ingredients, and a steamer. It doesn’t get much simper than that.
By Kathy Gori
I’ve cooked quite a few fast Indian shrimp dishes over the years and Steamed Shrimp is one of the quickest and easiest.
- 1 and ½ lb of medium sized shrimp
- 1 and ¾ teaspoons of black mustard seeds
- 1and ½ Tbs of onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili finely chopped if you want your shrimp a bit milder seed the chili.
- ⅜ tsp ground turmeric
- ¾ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri chili
- 3½ Tbs vegetable oil (I use coconut oil)
- Peel, devein, wash, and drain the shrimp. Set them aside.
- Grind the mustard seeds in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Pour them into a non reactive (stainless steel, glass, or ceramic ) type bowl. Add in 1 Tbs of water to the ground mustard seeds. Add in the turmeric. Add in the salt, Kashmiri chili, coconut oil, and serrano chili.
- Stir everything together well.
- Add in the cleaned, shelled and deveined shrimp.
- Stir them around in the spice mixture.
- Cover the bowl and set it all aside for about 10 minutes.
- While that's going on, set up your steamer.
- I used a simple 10 buck bamboo steamer.
- Actually it didn't work so well this way, (like it wouldn't close) so I put the shrimp mixture on a plate and put that in the steamer. It worked perfectly.
- Steam the shrimp until they're opaque all the way through. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Give the shrimp a whirl with a spoon about halfway through the steaming process, cover them and carry on cooking.
- It generally doesn't get much easier than that to have something like this.