This is less of a recipe and more of a combination of healthful ingredients.
By Radhika Penagonda
This is inspired by a feta cheese and field greens salad that I ate at a friend’s wedding. Being the cheese hater that I am (pardon me cheese lovers!), I adapted it to suit my taste by swapping cheese with my favorite sprouted green grams and including pear.
- ½ cup green gram
- 1 bartlette pear, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, julienne grated
- 2 tbsp pecans
- 2 tbsp cranberries
- extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- ground black pepper
- red chilli flakes
- sea salt
- Wash the green gram well and soak overnight in plenty of water. Next morning, drain the water and wrap the soaked green gram in wet paper towels or soft cotton/cheese cloth. Keep it in a big bowl, cover and let sit in a draft free area (neither chill nor hot) for a day or two until well sprouted.
- To roast the pecans, microwave in 30 sec intervals for about 2 mins and let cool. Once crisp, add a drop of oil, paprika and salt to taste and toss to coat well. I prefer to crush the sea salt in a mortar and pestle as it is slightly coarse.
- For the dressing, whisk in equal quantities (or to your taste) of lemon juice and EVOO along with ground black pepper and red chilli flakes.
- Toss everything together with the dressing, salt, roasted spiced pecans, cranberries and serve immediately.