Besides finding tender greens for the salad, you will want to find ripe sweet cherries, a soft delicate flavored fresh goat cheese and good quality walnuts.
By Patty Price
Don’t get me started on the quality of walnuts…there really is a difference. I usually buy my walnuts at our local farmer’s market or from the bins at Whole Foods but sometimes in a pinch I buy one of those small bags of walnuts from the neighborhood grocery store. You probably know the kind I’m referring to – the small bags of walnuts that cost a fortune and are broken into small pieces that look all crumbly, like the bag was in someone’s pocket for about a year.
- 6 cups lightly packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup sweet cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup walnut halves, broken in pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Squeeze lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Whisk together the oils, champagne vinegar, honey, lime juice, pepper and salt.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl and coat with the vinaigrette, or drizzle over the greens on the plates before serving.
- Gently toss in the cherries, goat cheese and walnuts.
- Divide onto 4 salad plates and serve.