SPONSORED STORY – BROUGHT TO YOU BY CASTELLO ALPS SELECTION
This spinach and cheese casserole showcases the creaminess of the Weissbier cheese while a crunchy breadcrumb topping adds texture.
By Michelle Keith
When I was offered to review cheese from Castello’s Alp selection I was thrilled. Not only to just taste, but to create a dish that would showcase the cheese as well. My favorite dish I created was a spinach and cheese casserole that showcased the creamy nutty flavor of the cheese, and the homemade buttered breadcrumb topping yielded the perfect crunch to set off the creamy spinach.
Win a Castello Alps Selection Cheese Tasting
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded Castello Alps selection Weissbier cheese
- 1 pkg frozen (10 ounce) chopped spinach thawed and well drained
- 2 Tbs Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 425
- Grease a shallow 2 cup baking dish, set aside
- Saute onion in butter until translucent
- Add flour, stir to coat and slowly mix in the milk and half and half
- Simmer 2 minutes
- Stir in the cheese until melted and remove from the heat.
- Add the spinach,Parmesan and red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Place the spinach into the baking dish.
- For the topping:
- Mix the crumbs, butter and parsley in a bowl, gently place on top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes