PARTNER POST: October is National Seafood Month, reinvent your recipes with new ideas of to feature potatoes and seafood in one dish.
Let this Spanish potato salad with tuna and boquerones take you on a delicious tapas adventure that’s easy enough to accomplish on even the busiest of days.
It’s strange to write this, but it’s true: I need to be better about actually making myself take a step back and stand in the present. Autumn is my most favorite time of year and I don’t want to miss it!! Where I don’t get the leaves changing or cider mill donuts out here in Southern California like I did growing up in Michigan…I still find it very important to figure out ways of celebrating the season with comforting flavors and a mind set of (hopefully!) slowing down a little bit as we ease into the actual holidays (not this 3-6 month pre show that some of us stylists are dealing with).
So when downtime is minimal and I want to feel like I’m creating something special for myself/husband/guests, one of my favorite dishes to make is a Spanish Tapas-inspired potato salad with lumps of tuna and boquerones. It’s an impressive little dish. Vibrant, proud….and no one is going to know that 1/2 of it is coming out of a tin.
Fresh like lingering summer, but the cozy you want to eat in fall. This salad is full of texture and depth, the sherry vinegar and green olives add a bright pop to round out the potato, egg and seafood notes. Even better is that we only needing two boiling pots of water and some quick knife skills to make it happen – boom bang bing! We have done it!
Hoping you try this delightful potato and seafood comfort food, that you’re also trying to soak up what we can make of autumn….aaaaaand here’s to neither of us eating out out of Tupperware standing up again…well at least until New Years Day…because that is totally acceptable.
For another delicious seafood recipe, try this. Click here for the Potato Farl recipe.
- 1 pound tri-colored fingerling potatoes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 10 pitted green olives, cut in half
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 TBS sherry vinegar
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 can Spanish tuna in oil
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled and halved
- 8 Boquerones (Spanish white anchovies)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add potatoes, boil until soft approximately 4-5 minutes depending on size. Set aside to cool.
- Hard boiled eggs by adding them into a covering of 1 inch cold water, bringing to a boil. Remove pot from heat and let sit for 8 minutes. Remove and let chill in an ice bath before removing shell. Add all chopped vegetables as well as potatoes cut into coins into a large bowl and dress with olive oil and sherry vinegar, toss well.
- Carefully break apart Spanish tuna and add to the salad, toss again. Top individual plates with boquerones and hard boiled egg halves before serving.