A soft chocolate cake is soaked in tea, topped with marshmallow, and covered in a perfect chocolate glaze for a dessert delight.
Chocolate Marshmallow Cake, aka Penguin Cake, is one of my top 3 favorite cakes. I got the recipe from my dear cousin D. from 2pots2cook.com years ago when we were just girls learning to cook. I made it so many times ever since that I can’t even remember.
The cake consists of chocolate sponge which is soaked with tea+rum mixture to make it super moist. It is topped with marshmallow topping (not using store-bought marshmallows) and a Secret Foolproof Chocolate Glaze.
One of the key factors of this cake is that you pour some prepared tea over it. I add about 2-3 Tbsp of rum to the tea, (if you don’t like to use rum, use just tea instead). I recommend using black or green or Roiboos tea. Herbal or fruit teas are not good for this because they will make the cake taste funny. You don’t need to wait for cake to cool to pour tea over it or top it with meringue. But it does have to cool before pouring chocolate glaze over it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup or 1½ stick (190 g) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1¼ cup tea + 2-3 Tbsp rum
- 4 large egg whites
- 1½ cup sugar
- click the link above for the recipe
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add, one by one, 4 egg yolks. Beat in milk.
- Add flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13" (23x33 cm) cake pan and bake for 18-20 minutes in preheated 350 F (175 C) oven.
- Combine tea with rum and pour over hot cake.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and beat some more.
- Put mixture over double boiler and cook, stirring, for about 4-5 minutes. The mixture should be hot, but egg whites shouldn't curdle.
- Pour the mixture over cake and smooth the surface with spatula. Let cool.
- Melt chocolate and vegetable fat. Pour over cake. Let cool.