Juicy, moist ground beef, smokey paprika, ancho chile, cayenne and the star of the dish, fresh habanero pepper, come together to bring you Smokey Habanero Chili, a wholesome dish that combines all the flavors you crave in one pot.
By Carolyng Gomes
Yeah I know. Look at this dish. Absolutely drool worthy, even for me! The trick is to use only a little bit of habanero, no seeds, and make sure you balance it out with a lot of smokey paprika. And, as always, taste taste taste! That is the biggest tip I can give you about cooking. That and trust your instincts. The worse thing that happens is that it comes out terrible… and that’s where taste taste taste comes in.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ habanero pepper, minced
- ½ tsp ground ancho chile
- ½ tsp ground chipotle
- 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1½ cups cooked red kidney beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn crockpot on high.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, ground ancho, chipotle and smoked paprika. Cook until garlic has softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Transfer drained meat to crockpot.
- In the same sauté pan add remaining tbsp of olive oil. Add onion and red pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and peppers have softened. Transfer vegetable mixture to crockpot.
- Add apple cider and water. Stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add red kidney beans and cook for an additional hour.
- Serve warm.