This Pork Stroganoff consists of lean pork stew meat seasoned and browned in oil, and then thrown into the slow cooker with chicken broth, white wine, tomato paste, diced onions and garlic, sliced mushrooms, sour cream, and fresh herbs.
It is so good that coming back for second helpings is virtually guaranteed.
Although it is totally delish accompanied by white rice and shoestring potatoes like our chicken stroganoff, this time we served it over egg noodles. If desired, you can even avoid the extra little hassle of preparing a side by serving it simply with a hard-crusted bread.
Ours is a variation of the classic Beef Stroganoff, which was originally a 19th century Russian dish made with sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream (smetana)!!! The dish has become popular all around the world, and has come to include different variations of the type of meat used, as well as the other ingredients… in addition to a diverse group of accompaniments.
Egg noodles are among the most popular accompaniments.
Although this dish can be prepared in approximately 45 minutes in a regular pan, this time we preferred to set our slow cooker and in the meantime go about our other tasks. The advantage of the slow cooker over a regular pan is that the stew can cook unattended overnight or any other time of the day. Just set the timer, and relax!
So yes, dinner will be ready within 4 hours but with no hassle.
- 3 pounds pork boneless stew meat, thawed and pat dry
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (or half the amount of cornstarch for a GF version)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ½ large white or yellow onion, small diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- ½ cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Place pork meat in a large bowl and reserve.
- Mix ¼ cup of flour with 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl. Dust mixture over the pork meat and mix well until pork pieces are covered with the flour mixture.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add the pork meat and let brown for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the pork meat to a slow cooker and add the onion and garlic. Dissolve the remaining 2 Tablespoons of flour in the broth until no lumps of flour are found. Add the broth/flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir in the wine, tomato paste, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt . Add the mushrooms. Set the timer on high for 4 hours. Stir in the sour cream well. If necessary, adjust the seasonings. If desired, let lean Pork Stroganoff cook for additional 20 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles, or over white rice accompanied by shoestring potatoes. Alternatively, a hard crusted bread can accompany the Slow Cooker Lean Pork Stroganoff instead. Enjoy!