These slow cooker brats simmer low and slow for hours in a beer broth with onions and peppers. A great game day meal or cozy fall dinner.
Need an easy game day or dinner recipe? Then this is the one for you. These brats will start cooking before your guests arrive. Once they are cooked you can turn the slow cooker down to low and they can bathe in the hot tub until everyone is ready to eat. Just set out the buns and condiments, then you can sit back and relax.
Plus, they’re great for Oktoberfest they are made in German beer after all.
I could live on sausages. I love all types from hot dogs to brats and of course, British bangers. My love of brats with sausage and peppers came about many years ago when I first starting dating my husband. Every year we would attend the Long Beach Grand Prix and see the Indy cars race. When we arrived at the track, the first thing we did was get brats and beer, which was usually breakfast. Before I came along, my now husband used to go to the race with his friend Brad, who then named the brats ‘dag nasties’. That name has stuck and we call them that to this day.
This recipe is for 4 people, but it’s easy to double or triple the recipe. Just make sure you have a slow cooker big enough, or borrow a second one for the day.
When you add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, it will look like there are too many onions and peppers, there are not. They do cook down a lot. I bought my bratwurst from a local German market and there were a lot to choose from, but you can buy any bratwurst that your local supermarket carries.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 bratwurst sausage
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 ounces beer
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Turn the slow cooker onto high to preheat.
- To a skillet add the oil over medium heat and brown the brats on all sides. Remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Top the brats with the onions and peppers, salt, pepper and butter. Pour over the beer and mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite condiments