This is so easy to make, the hard part is keeping yourself from opening it too soon to drink it.
By Regula Ysewijn
I’ve been told a ten year old sloe gin has a wonderful flavour… so I decided to hide a bottle from myself so I can actually try it. I think I might put it behind my 8 year old cherry brandy I was able to save.
- 500g ripe sloes
- 250g sugar
- 1 litre of Gin, I used No.3 London Dry Gin
- Prick the sloes with a thorn from the tree or a toothpick
- Put them in a suitably sized Kilner or jam jar
- Pour over the sugar and the gin
- Close the lid
- Shake and shake every day until the sugar has dissolved
- Store in a dark cupboard
- Strain out the sloes using muslin, bottle and store in a dark cupboard
- Try to wait 1 to 10 + years before opening a bottle.