SPONSORED POST: We’ve teamed up with Green Giant to introduce you to their Cauliflower Pizza Crusts. They’re vegan, made with over 80% cauliflower and way easier than making your own cauliflower crusts.
Have pizza for breakfast! This delicious, low-carb Shakshuka Pizza starts with a cauliflower crust and is topped with a spiced tomato and veggie sauce, sprinkled with sausage and cheese then finished with eggs.
Are you a pizza lover like me? I think I could eat pizza every day and not get tired of it. And now with my new creation, the Shakshuka Breakfast Pizza, I can have it for breakfast too! Woohoo!
Since the beginning of the year, my husband and I have been on a low carb diet so pizza was a definite no-no. However, when I found that Green Giant was selling a cauliflower pizza crust in Publix I was all over it. It seemed my fervent wishes had finally come true – I can have pizza on a low carb diet!
The Green Giant Cauliflower Pizza Crust is made of over 80% cauliflower and has no artificial flavors or preservatives. It has 50% fewer calories than a regular crust and can be found in the frozen section of the grocery store, either near the frozen pizzas or by the Green Giant vegetables. Now how convenient is that! I keep a couple in my freezer for when the pizza craving strikes.
Now most people don’t think of pizza for breakfast but, with the right sauce and ingredients, it’s like a breakfast you can hold in your hand. And it’s quick and easy too, taking just a little over 30 minutes from start to finish.
Ever hear of shakshuka?
The shakshuka dish is originally believed to be of Tunisian or Yemini origin, and is basically poached eggs in a spiced tomato, onion & pepper sauce. It seemed like the perfect idea to adapt to top this pizza.
The shakshuka sauce can be made while the pizza crust is heating in the oven and can be topped with your favorite breakfast meat or meat alternative and your favorite cheese. Typically, feta is used but I used mozzarella instead (after all, it is pizza). I also tried it with a combination of cheeses, including feta and it was super delicious. So, in other words, whatever floats your boat.
Go ahead and dive into that beautiful over easy egg and spicy sauce to give yourself a great start to the day.
Want to give their Cauliflower Pizza Crust a try? Click HERE for a coupon!
- 1 package Green Giant Cauliflower Crust
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup sweet onion chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro chopped
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼-1/2 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 2 tomatoes diced or ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 4 oz breakfast sausage mild Italian sausage, 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled or a meat alternative
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded or a combination of your favorite cheeses
- 4 small eggs
- Garnish: chopped parsley or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Carefully set Green Giant Cauliflower Pizza Crust on a large cookie sheet or pizza stone. Coo for 18 minutes.
- While pizza crust is baking, prepare the sauce. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in skillet and add onion, red pepper and garlic.
- Sauté vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, paprika, cumin, chili powder and minced jalapeno to the vegetables and stir.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and a little sugar. Add to vegetables.
- Simmer mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, cook up breakfast sausage, mild Italian sauce, 4 strips of bacon or meat alternative.
- Take pizza crust out of oven and spread a thin layer of sauce over crust. I like to make the 4 wells for the eggs now.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sauce, building up a little edge around where eggs will be.
- Crack a small egg into each of the wells, trying not to break the yolk.
- Sprinkle sausage on top of cheese and around eggs.
- Return pizza to oven and bake an addition 8-9 minutes or until cheese is bubbly, whites of the eggs are cooked and yolks are still soft.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro and serve immediately.