Shredded chicken is mixed with green chiles, cumin and a touch of lime juice then rolled in whole grain tortillas topped with a chunky, flavorful enchilada sauce. Bake in the oven and a healthy, high protein dinner is on the table in no time.
I’m a total fiend for Mexican food. Tacos, burritos, chimichangas, enchiladas … I want it all! The cheesier, spicier, meatier, the better. Bring it on. But most of the time Mexican tends to be pretty darn unhealthy. Deep fried tortillas, mountains of shredded cheese, these are a few of my favorite things but not conducive to staying fit and healthy.
So of course, when I’m not splurging I make Mexican food a little healthier at home. These Healthy Chicken Enchiladas with Chunky Enchilada sauce are amazing. Spicy, high protein, dairy free, refined sugar-free and all nestled in a sprouted grain tortilla that packs a whole grain punch.
I like to make these in individual portions, nestle them in a mini loaf pan and freeze them. Then I’ve got a healthy meal option to take to work or to make on a night when I’m not up for cooking. These healthy chicken enchiladas are a big win and will help keep you full, satisfied and on track with your nutrition goals.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 ounce can green chiles
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can sugar free enchilada sauce or canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 Food for Life sprouted grain tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and spices and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cilantro. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mix together shredded chicken, lime juice, green chills, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Spray 9x9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread ⅓ of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas, roll each one, and place in dish seam-side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of rolled tortillas and bake for 20 minutes.