A savory vegetable pie nestled into a yeast-risen crust and topped with a Sicilian-style cheese.
A savory vegetable pie nestled into a yeast-risen crust and topped with a Sicilian-style cheese. High quality whole meal flour, seasonal vegetables and excellent cheese are the keys to a simple but tasty dish.
Images by G. GIUSTOLISI
- 1 kg (2 pounds-4 ounces ) cauliflower
- 500 g (1 Ib/2 oz) wholewheat Farro flour
- 4 teaspoon organic yeast
- warm water to taste
- salt to taste
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- white pepper to taste
- 350 g (11 oz) “Tuma” Sicilian cheese (or Fontina cheese)
- Mix the yeast with the flour. Add warm water to taste, salt, oil and form a firm but soft dough. Let rise the mixture for 2-3 hours. Roll out the dough on an oiled baking pan.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower and cook steam.
- In a saucepan, pour 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, cauliflower, salt and white pepper to taste Mix the ingredients together until brown the vegetables.
- Pour the seasoned vegetables in the pan where you have placed the dough.
- Season with “Tuma” Sicilian cheese or other high quality soft or semi soft cheese.
- Bake at 180°C (350° F/gas 4) for 50 minutes.