Rich, sweet, and totally addictive with a glass of milk or scoop of ice cream, these caramel butterscotch bars with brown butter are a fun dessert to satisfy your cravings.
By Taylor Kadlec
My sweet tooth has come back with a vengeance the past couple of weeks. Gummy worms, frozen yogurt, Junior Mints, cherry dipped cones, you name it. I want it.
I had a craving last week for a rich bar dessert, and these salted caramel butterscotch blondie bars with brown butter certainly fit the bill. Anything with brown butter AND salted caramel AND butterscotch just screams ‘rich’ right? I was going to stop with just the brown butter and butterscotch, but I figured why leave out that jar of caramel sauce in my refrigerator waiting to be used?
Even though these have quite the title and might sound a little fancy, I assure you if you know how to melt butter on the stovetop and buy a jar of caramel sauce, you’re good to go. I have memorized this tutorial for making brown butter by heart and I promise once you try it once, you’ll be hooked.
I also cheated a bit with the caramel and used a jar of it in our fridge, as opposed to making my own, so if you’re a purist, make your own! (Find the recipe here.) If you like shortcuts, buy a jar. No one has to know.
These blondies were irresistible warmed up with a big scoop of ice cream on top, as well as washed down with a big glass of milk.
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x13" pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture, beating until combined.
- Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Pour and spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over batter and swirl with a knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and tester comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let cool and then cut into bars.