Fino sherry is the perfectly chilled summer refresher to throw into easy cocktails. Try these simple recipes!
Summer is for slow cool sipping, so naturally that means we are whipping up some chilled cocktails with a big boozy kick. What better mix-in to your drink than a chilled Fino sherry? Now before you back away, we argue that fino sherries are not out of style or stodgy, but rather just what we need for a summer cocktail.
A few years ago we had the opportunity to see the impressive and historic solera barreling process right at Tio Pepe in Jerez, Spain. If that doesn’t turn you on to sherry, we aren’t sure anything (except maybe a cool sip of the cocktails below) will! For these cocktails, we used Tio Pepe’s Fino sherry that has been aged in the barrel system for about four years. This cool, dry sherry is not too acidic and lends itself easily to a variety of cocktails. Try it in one of your favorite backyard drink recipes or sip it on its own alongside shellfish or light tapas.
This first cocktail is a simple one that you can make at anytime with ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. The only alcohol being the sherry, this cocktail is light, refreshing, and not too strong. Of course, you can adjust to your liking.
- ½ part Lemon
- ½ part Lime
- Soda Water
- small handful Fresh Mint, reserve some for garnish.
- 1 to 2 parts Tio Pepe Fino Sherry, chilled
- Muddle lemon and lime juice with fresh mint.
- Strain and add desired amount of Fino Sherry to the citrus juice.
- Pour in a glass with ice and top with soda water. Garnish with fresh mint
Calling on amaro to beef things up, this pink-hued cocktail has a fun spritz of grapefruit citrus and would be a beautiful sight at brunch.
- 1 part Grapefruit Juice
- 1 part Lemon Juice
- ½ part Honey
- 2 parts Tio Pepe Fino Sherry, chilled
- ½ to 1 part Amaro (we used Amaro Lucano)
- Mix grapefruit and lemon juice together with honey so that they honey combines and dissolves into the liquid.
- Add the Fino Sherry and Amaro and shake with ice. Strain into glass and enjoy.