Try this red pepper jam on your sausage sandwich at your next tailgate or cookout for an extra dimension of flavor.
By Taylor Mathis and Sally James
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 cups yellow onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook , stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend ? of the onion pepper mixture. Stir jam to blend.
- Return jam to heat and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove jam from heat. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate over night and transport in a cooler to your tailgate. Bring to room temperature before serving.