At first lentils can be intimidating to figure out, but once you do, they are so versatile. Red lentils can make an amazing ‘risotto’ style dish.
By Jules Clancy
I love a good red lentil ‘risotto’. All the oozy goodness with lots more protein and fibrer than your boring old rice risotto. And not only that, no need to stir constantly!
- 1 onion, peeled & diced
- 2-3 thick pork sausages, skins removed and meat crumbled into chunks
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g (7oz) red lentils
- 2 handfuls grated parmesan + extra to serve
- Heat a little oil in a medium saucepan and add onion. Cover and cook on a medium low heat, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- When the onion is soft, increase the heat to medium high, add the sausages and cook for a few minutes until browned.
- Add the lentils. Stir for a minute.
- Add red wine and the stock. Stir well then simmer for 15-20 or until the stock is absorbed and the lentils are tender and oozy. If it gets too dry before the lentils are cooked, add a little water.
- Add cheese and stir until combined. Taste and season. Serve with extra parmesan shaved over.