This chutney needs no coconut and that in itself makes it super quick to make. The level of spice can be adjusted to taste, of course.
By Nagalakshmi Viswanathan
- 1 cup of peeled and sliced shallots (chinna vengayam, ulli)
- 10-12 dry red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 1 pinch of hing (perungayam, kayam, asafoetida)
- 1 small piece of tamarind (or 1 tsp tamarind paste)
- 1-2 tsp of salt (adjust to tate)
- 2 tsp of oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Heat the oil and add the chillies. Keeping flame very low, fry for a min until they start to glisten and emit a nice aroma of roasted chillies
- Remove the chillies and add the sliced shallots to the same pan. Fry until golden.
- Add the hing, garlic, and salt. Stir through and switch off the flame.
- Add the tamarind piece at the end.
- Cool completely and grind with the chillies to a smooth paste.