Add a bunch of vegetables to the popular gluten-free grain for a nutritious one-dish dinner.
By Rinku Bhattacharya
- cup (180 g) uncooked white quinoa 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 20 whole cashews, split in half lengthwise (nuts optional -see note below) 1 teaspoon cumin seeds 1 small onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 medium russet potato (about ½ lb/225 g), peeled and diced into ¼ in (6 mm) cubes 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into ¼ in (6 mm) cubes
- ¼ cup (60 g) frozen or fresh green peas
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Place the quinoa in a large sieve. Run cold water over it to thoroughly wash the grains. While washing the quinoa, rub the grains with your fingers to thoroughly clean them. Drain the quinoa.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil into a medium saucepan and place it over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the cashews. Sauté until the cashews are light golden, stirring frequently, about 30 seconds. Remove the cashews from the saucepan and place aside.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil into the medium saucepan and place it over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the cumin seeds and onion. Sauté the onion until lightly golden, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sautéed cashews, potato, carrot, peas, and quinoa. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, salt, and turmeric. Stir to combine. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Stir and reduce the heat to medium- low. Cover the saucepan. Simmer undisturbed until the water is completely absorbed and you do not see any more water on the bottom of the saucepan if you insert a spoon through the quinoa, about 13 minutes. The grains will have turned slightly transparent, and the spiral-like germ (the part of the grain that sprouts into a plant) will have separated from the grain and curl around it like a small thread.
- Turn off the heat. Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes on the warm stove. Keep covered until ready to serve or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate or freeze for later. Before serving, gently fluff the quinoa with a fork to mix the cashews and vegetables. Enjoy!