A quick and easy Salsa Verde Chicken with Vegetables to dazzle all the senses for your next weeknight meal!
It’s chicken madness!!! America’s most popular meat is a real favorite at my household. This Salsa Verde Chicken with Vegetables, prepared with store-bought Mexican salsa verde (green sauce), is one of many chicken dishes that has become a hit due to its amazing flavor and easy preparation. A must-make for your next weeknight meal — and a festive way to celebrate Fiesta in my home city of San Antonio, Texas!
This quick version uses seasoned, whole skinless chicken thighs browned in oil and mixed with a store-bought medium-spicy green sauce made from tomatillos and chili pepper. The dish is then topped with a vegetable salsa (canned corn, black beans, cilantro, black olives, and tomato) to give a colorful, party-time look. Green sauce or salsa verde is used to prepare traditional Mexican dishes such as enchiladas, tacos, and quesadillas.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare our Salsa Verde Chicken, which can be served with tortillas, or over rice or noodles. Sour cream makes an excellent garnish to top the dish.
Our Salsa Verde Chicken is one of those dishes that makes both the cook and the diner happy– the first because of its hassle-free prep, and the second due to its appetizing look and delicious flavor.
I live in San Antonio, Texas. Every April the city holds a very important festival, Fiesta, which has been celebrated since the late 19th century. The festival honors the memory of the battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto.
Fiesta is known for its parades with extravagantly decorated floats, music (mariachi, jazz, country among others), amazing street food, marching bands, colorful decorations, and cascarones (colorful eggshells filled with confetti), among other things. It is a 11-day citywide party to excite the eyes, spirit, and palate!
Whether you can get here to enjoy Fiesta or not, have a taste of it by trying our easy Salsa Verde Chicken. It will evoke the spirit of this traditional cultural event… without making you sweat in the kitchen!
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ small white onion, small diced
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1½ cups store-bought medium salsa verde
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 black olives
- ¼ cup canned corn kernels, drained
- ¼ cup canned black beans, drained
- Chopped cilantro
- ? cup queso fresco, crumbled
- In a large no-stick pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add seasoned chicken thighs to the pan and let brown about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Reduce heat to medium, add onions to the pan and sweat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let brown!
- Return chicken to the pan, add lemon juice and wait about 30 seconds to add the salsa verde to the pan. Partially cover the pan, and let cook for about 15 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and add the tomatoes, olives, corn, beans, and cilantro. Sprinkle on the queso fresco and serve Salsa Verde Chicken with flour tortillas or over white rice. Enjoy!