Introducing the mozzarella chicken skillet. You can’t go wrong with this hearty, warm, cheese-loaded dinner that can be ready in just 15 minutes.
You guys need this recipe in your life. The whole family loves it. It can be ready in about 15 minutes with very minimal prep, it only requires 4 simple ingredients, and it’s pretty healthy too. Serve it over zucchini noodles for a good, solid, wholesome weeknight dinner with protein and veggies…. but also cheesy and saucy enough to still be amazing.
One skillet meals seriously save me during the school year. It makes me feel so accomplished when I can make a delicious, nutritious meal for the family even though we are so busy. This one is so simple too. You just need to find a great sauce with lots of flavor, but no added sugar.
We are huge fans of Rao’s homemade sauces. They are sold at most grocery stores and Walmart. I’ve tried many of the flavor varieties and love them all. If you look at the ingredient list of the marinara sauce, it includes only tomatoes, olive oil, onions, salt, garlic, basil, pepper and oregano. This isn’t sponsored, I just wanted to share my go-to sauce.
I used thinly sliced organic chicken breasts and topped those with fresh mozzarella slices. You could totally use any favorite cheese, though. Wouldn’t gouda be incredible? It is amazing what you can create with your favorite common ingredients!
You guys are going to love this delicious 15 minute meal! From the flavorful sauce to the tender, juicy chicken topped with melty mozzarella cheese. We loved it served over pasta with crusty garlic bread. It became a family favorite with the very first bite!
When you give this a try, be sure to comment and let me know how you liked it. Also, tag #kimscravings on Instagram so we can all see. Enjoy, friends!
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- about 24 ounces of your favorite marinara (I like any Rao's variety)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 1 cup shredded
- Optional for serving: chopped parsley or basil + pasta
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Add chicken to skillet and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- If you are planning on serving this with pasta, get the water going and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting. Add tomato sauce to skillet with chicken, when sauce reaches a simmer, lower heat, cover to fully heat sauce. This will only take a few minutes.
- Once sauce is fully heated, top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese gets nice and bubbly and just melts. Top with chopped parsley or basil. Serve immediately with pasta and a salad, if desired.