These individually-sized cakes cook in the microwave in under two minutes for nearly instant gratification of a sweet and seasonal craving.
By Patty Price
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons (1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) self-rising flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or ⅛ teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a very tiny pinch of clove)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped, plus extra if you want to sprinkle on tops
- In a large mug or small bowl, whisk together the egg and pumpkin puree with a fork.
- Stir in the milk,vanilla and sugar.
- Add the flour, salt and spices.
- Beat the batter until smooth.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Microwave the cakes separately for about 1&1/2 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Topping ideas: Whipped cream, caramel sauce, candied walnuts or dried cranberries.