You can use canned pumpkin puree in this recipe but you might need to increase the cooking timing to account for the extra moisture content.
By Radhika Penagonda
Author: Radhika Penagonda
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 4 tiny pumpkins or 1-1/2 cups cooked pumpkin pulp
- ½ of a 14 oz can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- pinch of saffron
- 1-2 tbsp ghee
- skinned pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Wash and cut the tiny pumpkins in half, remove the seeds and pith and microwave cut side up for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Do not add any water. Let cool and scoop out the cooked pulp with a curved spoon. Mash this pulp for uniform consistency.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium. Sauté mashed pumpkin for 10 mins or until rawness subsides. Add condensed milk and crush saffron between your fingertips into it. Cook stirring well intermittently until the Halwa comes together as one mass away from all sides of the pan or about 20 mins. Switch off and let cool. Take care to not let the halwa burn or brown.
- To roast the pumpkin seeds, microwave on a plate for 2 mins in 30 sec intervals, shuffling them in between. Alternatively dry roast on a pan on low heat until fragrant.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds.
Originally Published: October 4, 2013