Served with a big hunk of rustic bread, this simple, savory soup is a great alternative to a stew or chili.
By Kara and Marni Powers
- 2 T Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 links chorizo, sliced into ¼-inch coins
- ½ Spanish onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 c unsalted chicken broth
- 1 c water (if the soup gets too thick, you might need to add more)
- ½ bunch kale thinly slices and chopped
- generous salt and pepper throughout
- In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the chorizo and cook until browned. Remove the chorizo to a paper-towel lined plate, and add the onions to the pot.
- Lower the heat to medium and saute the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute or two. Add the potatoes and stir for an additional minute.
- Add the broth, water and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid is at a rolling boil, reduce the heat and add the kale. Once the kale and potatoes are fork tender, add back the chorizo and additional spices.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.