Here’s a cool cocktail before we’re engulfed in deep autumn. Any leftover plum syrup from previous recipes will come in handy for this refreshing drink.
This plum cocktail is pretty much the perfect drink for the transition from late summer into fall. It’s icy cold to combat the heat, fruity but not too sweet, and the depth of flavor from the bourbon makes this a real winner.
Though you do need to make a plum syrup, this is actually a very easy cocktail to make. The syrup makes enough for three cocktails and can easily be scaled down or up.
- 1 small plum
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 oz plum syrup
- 1 oz bourbon
- ½ oz St. Germain
- ½ oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Cut the plum into quarters and remove the pit.
- Add the plum and sugar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the plum is soft and has broken down.
- You should be left with about 3 oz of a saucy plum mixture.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve to remove any solid pieces and let cool.
- Store in the fridge.
- Stir all ingredients together and serve over ice.
- If your plums are not sweet you may want to add an additional ½ tbsp of sugar.