Take the classic biscotti to the next level with these pistachios-filled, orange-flavored, chocolate-dipped cookies.
What I love most about these biscotti is not just the flavor combination (chocolate, orange and pistachio is a must-try!). But the crunchiness and crumbi-ness (if there is such a word) of these cookies.
Most biscotti you find around are a little dry and sometimes jaw-breaking crunchy. With today’s recipe you’ll get a crunchy enough cookie that is great for dunking (think: cappuccino, latte, steamed milk, tea …), but not too hard nor too dry, which is perfectly enjoyable all by itself. I promise, you won’t break anything with my biscotti. Well… except maybe for your diet! These are so good you won’t be able to stop at just one.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup (150 gr) of sugar
- 4 oz (115 gr) of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2⅔ cups (400 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1¼ cups (about 125 gr) of whole pistachios, divided
- 1 cup (150 gr) of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of butter (optional)
- ¼ cup of white chocolate (optional)
- Melt the butter by cutting it in pieces in a heat safe container, placing it in a small pan with an inch of boiling water, until it melts. Or melt in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Let it cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the melted butter to the egg/sugar, together with a pinch of salt, the vanilla extract and the orange zest. Stir some more.
- Blend in the flour and the baking power.
- Fold in 1 cup of pistachios.
- Divide the dough in half. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with a bit of flour and shape into two logs, flattened on top, and about 2 inch wide.
- Bake until golden around the edges, for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let it cool off for 10 minutes. On a cutting board, with a sharp knife, cut out the cookies diagonally into ½ inch thick biscotti. (about 30).
- Place them back on the cookie sheet. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 more minutes, flip them around and bake for another 10 minutes, until each side is a little golden.
- Melt the chocolate. in microwave for 45 seconds (or double boiler). Mix and add 15 more seconds if needed. And add 1 teaspoon of butter if the chocolate is too dense for dipping.
- Dip each cookie halfway into the chocolate.
- And sprinkle with the remaining pistachios (crushed).
- You can also melt some white chocolate and drizzle on top.