Chocolate lovers, rejoice! There’s a new cocoa cookbook in town and it is not only a delight for the tastebuds, but for the mind and eyes, too.
Photos by Sergio Coimbra
Famed chocolatier and pastry chef, Pierre Hermé, had debut a stunning new book on chocolate. It is not just a cookbook, but a celebration of the sweet in picture and art form. Let your mind be enlightened to knew ways to think about and showcase chocolate and your tastebuds be curious as you dive into a book with new recipes, ideas, and techniques.
Some of the recipes may seem like an endeavor to conquer at home, but others, like the Whisky Chocolat cocktail below are doable by any chocolate fanatic.
- 3 oz Extra Amer 67% dark chocolate (Valrhona)
- 2 cups mineral water
- 2.5 Tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 2.5 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 21 oz cold chocolate
- 1.25 cups cocoa liqueur
- 1.25 cups pure malt whisky
- 1.25 cups Bailey's
- 3.5 oz chocolate sprinkles
- 1/16 oz edible gold powder
- 3 Tablespoons cane sugar syrup
- Crushed ice
- Chop the chocolate with a serrated knife and place in a bowl.
- Combine the mineral water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook, stirring, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture, one-third at a time, over the chopped chocolate, stirring from the center out in small, then progressively larger concentric circles. Mix with a hand blender and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until chilled.
- Add the cocoa liqueur, whisky, and Baileys to the cold chocolate and return to the fridge in the airtight container until just before serving.
- Combine the chocolate sprinkles and the gold powder stirring with a wooden spoon. Store in another container in the fridge until just before serving.
- Just before serving, pour the cane sugar syrup into a shallow dish. Pour the chocolate sprinkles and gold powder mixture into a second shallow dish. Dip the rim of each cocktail glass quickly in the sugar syrup, then in the sprinkle-gold powder.
- Place the crushed ice in a cocktail shaker, add the chocolate mixture, shake vigorously. Filter the mixture through the strainer of the shaker and pout into the cocktail glasses. Serve immediately.