Peanut butter, yogurt, and sesame seeds make a creamy, sweet, and nutritious drink with protein, fiber, and potassium from bananas.
At the end of last year, I got really into making smoothies. For a while, I was making them everyday, combinations of thick German yogurt, nut butter, and whatever fruit I had on hand. But shuffling around homes, which I’ve done a lot of these past few months, doesn’t always allow for such luxuries. (You need a blender to make a smoothie, and mine’s still in Berlin!) Luckily, a few weekends ago I got hold of a blender and was able to make this delicious spiced smoothie.
My take on this recipe, originally a raw eggnog from My New Roots, swaps in peanut butter, some homemade yogurt, and sesame seeds for a creamy, sweet, and nutritious drink. There’s potassium from the banana, protein from the nut butter, and fiber from the sesame seeds. Soaking the sesame and flax seeds overnight helps create a smoother texture, and the spices help add that eggnog flavor. Creamy and delicious, it makes a great start to the day or mid afternoon snack.
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, soaked for 8 hours, or overnight
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, soaked for 8 hours, or overnight
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 to 2 dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Place the sesame and flax seeds in a small bowl with a sprinkle of sea salt, cover with ½ cup water, and soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place the water and seeds, banana, dates, yogurt, peanut butter, cinnamon, and ginger in a blender and mix on high until completely smooth. Top with additional cinnamon and enjoy.