A vibrant black-eyed salad with peaches, lime juice, roasted pecans, and jalapeño is a flavorful way to celebrate summer.
By Aysegül Sanford
This scrumptious summer salad is flavored with lime zest, lime juice, fresh basil leaves, roasted pecans, and jalapeño peppers. It is so delicious. Not to mention super healthy.
For this salad, you can certainly use canned black-eyed peas. However, I highly recommend cooking them yourself. I agree that it takes longer, but it is totally worth your time. And it is quite easy. All you have to do is to first boil them in water, turn off the heat and let them cool for an hour. After an hour, rinse them, place them back in the saucepan, fill it with clean water, and cook for 30 minutes or so. The cooking time depends on your preference. I like them al-dente so 30 minutes was just the right amount of time. However, if you prefer them to be softer, feel free to cook longer until they reach to your desired consistency.
- 1 cup black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (from 2 limes)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces frisee, washed, dried, and chopped into small pieces
- 3 peaches, halved and sliced thinly
- ½ small red onion, sliced thinly (half moon)
- ¼ cup pecans, toasted & chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded & chopped finely
- Place the black-eyed peas in a medium size saucepan, cover it water, and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and let it cool for an hour. Drain water and replace it with fresh cooking water. Place it back on the stove, bring it to a boil, and let it simmer for 25-35 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- To make the dressing: Whisk lime zest & juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- To assemble: Place frisee in a salad bowl. Add in the cooked black- eyed peas, peaches, red onion slices, pecans, basil leaves, and jalapeño. Give it a gentle stir. Drizzle it with the dressing and serve.