PARTNER POST: Reinvent classic potato dishes to create a new holiday tradition. This year, forget the tried and true recipes and show off your cooking skills with a twist on an old favorite.
Crispy on the outside, these golden Parmesan and Garlic Potato Bites are a delicious update to traditional mashed potatoes.
By Mariah Mercurio
I love coming up with recipes to use up all my leftovers and this has to be my favorite one yet. We always have a ton of mashed potatoes left over after Christmas dinner so these Parmesan and Garlic Potato Bites are the perfect way to use them up.
We have a big family so we celebrate all of Christmas week with lots of get togethers so that we can fit everyone in. I love that this recipe allows me to repurpose the traditional mashed potato dish.
I started with 2 cups of plain mashed potatoes and then added a couple pantry staples…an egg, some seasoning, a little bit of garlic and shallots, then rolled the potato balls in freshly grated parmesan cheese and Italian style bread crumbs. After a light pan fry in a little bit of canola oil, these little balls of golden goodness were ready. I am pretty sure they are going to be a new holiday tradition at our house.
For another great holiday tradition, try these Danish potatoes.
- 2 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Shallots, minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Egg slightly beaten
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- ¾ Cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- Canola Oil for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, shallots, garlic cloves, egg, and Italian parsley. Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Refrigerate the potato balls for 30 minutes.
- Next, roll the potato balls in the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Preheat a skillet with about 2 inches of oil on moderate heat.
- Fry potato balls on all sides, a few at a time, for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.