Roasted until tender and slightly caramelized, then tossed in crushed red chili, sliced onions, green pepper, Parmesan cheese and some panch foron. Then baked again – these sweet potatoes have gotten the royal treatment.
By Lail Hossain
- 2 lb sweet potato (about 4 depending on size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon panch phoron (mix of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seed, nigella and black mustard)
- Salt, according to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast sweet potatoes until tender and starting to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, take a dry gratin dish and grease well with oil.
- Peel the roasted potatoes and cut into ½ inch rounds.
- Add a layer of potato rounds.
- Sprinkle half the crushed chili, panch foron and salt.
- Add a second layer of potatoes. Toss the sliced onions and green bell pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining spices, salt and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.