The day I crated the recipe for this nut free paleo orange cake I was so happy! I nailed it at the first try, and that is such a proud moment for a recipe developer, because… let’s face the truth: the “epic fails” are many, and the fact that you don’t see them here on the blog does not mean they don’t happen! ?
I was scrolling through my Facebook feeds and I stumbled upon a recipe video about an orange cake that had a very interesting preparation. Even though it was made with ingredients I banned from my kitchen a long time ago (like sugar, cream and wheat flour), I decided to give it a go and to recreate that recipe with healthy, paleo ingredients.
Since it’s January and here in Italy we have the best organic oranges coming from Sicily that are in season right now… what better guiltless treat to bake than a nut free paleo orange cake?
Here’s some interesting facts about this recipe:
- You stick a whole orange (and I mean with skin and everything) in it.
- It’s completely nut free (while orange cakes typically contain almond meal)
- It’s totally coconut free (ok, this wasn’t planned. I was simply out of coconut milk and the cake turned out amazing without using any coconut products).
- It’s suitable for those who are on the reintroduction phase of the Autoimmune Protocol and that have already reintroduced eggs successfully.
- Because oranges (especially the zest) are so flavorful, you don’t really need to add much sweetness to make it taste delicious!
- The combination of ingredients featured in this cake allows it to stay soft and spongy for days!
Now, let’s get to the actual recipe, and if you love the taste and smell of orange flavored desserts, don’t forget to check out my Paleo Orange Muffins that are super easy to make and perfect for a healthy Sunday brunch!
- 1 Organic Orange (about 180 gr)
- 2 tbsp Raw Honey
- 3 Free Range Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ⅛ tsp Ginger Powder
- 40 gr Cassava Flour
- 35 gr Tigernut Flour
- 5 gr Baking Soda
- 5 gr Cream of Tartar
- *1 tsp Coconut Flour (*optional, for garnishing)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Wash the orange and cut in pieces (yes, with the skin and everything. Just make sure to remove the seeds).
- Transfer the pieces in a food processor and process until completely blended.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla and spices, and blend well.
- Lastly, add in the flour, process again and when the when the batter is smooth, add in the baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Mix again for a few second and then transfer the batter to a medium sized baking pan (I used a silicon mold).
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, than turn off the oven, leave your orange paleo cake inside for 5 more minutes, then take it out and let cool.
- If you can tolerate coconut, sift a teaspoon of coconut flour on top of your nut free paleo orange cake and, if you like, serve it with some coconut yogurt and berries.
I hope you enjoyed this healthy cake and that’s you’ll get to share it with your friends and family. There’s nothing like treating your loved ones to healthy and delicious food!
As always, pin this post to your favorite Pinterest board and don’t forget to let me have your feedback in a comment below!
Big love from Italy!