Roasted Pumpkin and slightly caramelized onions provide sweetness that is offset by a generous helping of balsamic vinegar.
By Pallavi Gupta
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and diced into bite size pieces
- 3 to 4 small red onions, peeled and cut into halves
- 1 cup orzo (uncooked)
- a large bunch of basil
- a few cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- a good glug of balsamic vinegar
- fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a baking dish or tray add the diced pumpkin and garlic. Drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some salt and mix well using you hands – make sure all the pumpkin pieces are coated well with the oil.
- In a separate baking bowl add halved onions and drizzle with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You want the vinegar to coat the onions and collect a little at the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle salt, sugar and fennel seeds.
- Bake both pumpkin and onions in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or till they both are cooked through. The onions should be slightly charred on the edges.
- Cook orzo (just like pasta).
- Tear the basil leaves into bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl add all your ingredients and toss well till everything is coated well in the balsamic vinegar. Serve right away.