These cakes are extremely moist and drench in an infused light syrup with cloves, star anise, pepper, coriander seed and cardamon pods.
By Ariel Rebel
- ½ cup of orange juice (about 2 navel oranges)
- 1 tablespoon of cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon of margarine
- 4 tablespoons of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup of light syrup (I used this one)
- ½ star anise
- ¼ teaspoon of coriander seed, whole
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 whole clove
- ½ cup of water
- Pre-heat your oven at 325. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the cakes. On a baking sheet, lay 4 small silicon molds and pour your batter in each of them. Bake your cakes for 35 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare your syrup. On the stove top, in a small sauce pan on MEDIUM heat, mix all the ingredients for the syrup and bring it to a light gentle boil. Once the liquid start making bubbles, give it a 8 to 10 minutes till it has reduce of half. Remove from heat and let cool down.
- When the 35 minutes is done, transfer your mold on a cooling rack and wait for a few minutes so your mini cakes cool down a bit before unmolding them. You dont have to wait till they are 100% cooled down but it’s always better to wait about 15 to 20 minutes before you touch them. Once they are unmolded, place your cakes in a oven safe baking pot without a cover and pour the syrup at the bottom of it. With a spoon take a bit of syrup from the bottom and pour it on top of each cakes.
- Crank your oven temperature to 350 and once it’s ready, put your pot in the oven for an extra baking time of 15 minutes.